Thursday, August 7, 2014

KEATSIAN ODE

The Keatsian Ode or English Ode contains three 10-line stanzas in iambic pentameter, with rhyme scheme ababcdecde. Each of the three has new rhyme with same rhyme scheme.  Technically then the rhyming for the entire poem will be ababcdecde, fgfghijhij, klklmnomno,

Another expert says the Keatsian ode can have any number of  stanzas, and since Keats himself wrote one with eight stansas, we have to agree with that.

Russell Strauss, former NFSPS president and former president of the West TN chapter, spoke to that group about this poetry format at the September 2019 meeting. He contributed the following light-hearted sample:

Owed to my Coffee Cup (Keatsian Ode)

My coffee cup begins my daily grind.
Oh, coffee cup, you are my calming friend;
you pacify and organize my mind.
I use you for most any coffee blend,
yet holding drinks is least of what you do.
I hold you sometimes just to strike a pose.
It buys me time to think upon my feet,
and contemplate while sipping from my brew.
You are a point of focus, I suppose,
while I compose a thought that seems complete.

Here's a sample from the originator, John Keats (1795-1821).  It's stanza three from Ode to a Grecian Urn, which contains five in all.

Ah, happy, happy boughs! that cannot shed
Your leaves, nor ever bid the Spring adieu;
And, happy melodist, unweari-ed.
Forever piping songs forever new;
More happy love! More happy, happy love!
Forever warm and still to be enjoyed,
forever panting, and forever young.
All breathing human passion far above,
That leaves a heart high-sorrowful and cloyed,
A burning forehead and a parching tongue.

See also in this blog the section on Ode.  There are, in fact, many, many forms of the ode which are not discussed here (Coronation, Elemental, Palinode, Thematic, Triumphal, etc.).

F. Bruce, the blogger

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home