Thursday, August 21, 2014

CHOKA

        An intricate Japanese poetry form is the choka or long poem. It's a form of waka, Japanese court poetry of the 6th to 14th century.  It is given a title. 

        This syllablic poem may take the form of 5/7/7/5/7/7 . . ., etc.,  or 5/7/5/5/7/5. . ., etc.   These structures are called katuata. An alternative is  alternating 5 and 7 syllable lines with an extra 7-syllable line at the end.  The poem may contain any number of stanzas, so the total length of the poem is indefinite.

The Moth

There is no freedom.
Escaping from my cocoon
I must seek you once again.
I am drawn to you
like a moth to a candle,
circling nearer and nearer. 
The deadly flame calls.
Now my wings are scorched.
Why must my nature be so? 

I'll try to add other examples as I find them. 





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home